BestOnlineSecurity.com is independently owned, and opinions expressed here are our own. In order to provide you with this free service, we use links on our site that provide us with commissions for referring you to the seller’s website.
2017's Best Antivirus Software
McAfee Review Highlights
McAfee virus protection products deliver proactive and proven solutions and services to help secure systems and networks worldwide. Whether you need to protect your PC, Mac, tablet, or smartphone, they provide high-quality coverage.Features Include:
- McAfee Antivirus excels in performance tests conducted by independent software labs
- The software does not slow down system performance
- The virus scanner accurately detects malware
Norton Review Highlights
Norton can essentially provide anyone a safe and secure online experience due to their long-standing experience in the industry. Norton’s virus protection offers powerful benefits for your PCs, Macs, smartphones and tablets.Features Include:
- Protection against spyware, viruses, malware and other online attacks
- Top of the industry for malware removal and firewall protection
- Specialized security for each of your devices to maintain your privacy regardless of which platform you are using
Total AV Review Highlights
Total AV virus protection offers high quality virus and malware protection for your PC, Mac, Android and iOS devices. There are 3 security packages available that boost your computer’s performance and offer customizable options. If you’re looking for high-quality protection while playing games or regularly browsing the web, this is a great match.Features Include:
- Flagging, quarantining & eliminating cyber threats as they appear
- Speeding up your browser & boosting your overall computing performance
- Removing junk files
Bitdefender Review Highlights
Bitdefender virus protection software is a versatile and comprehensive security program. The antivirus protection that Bitdefender provides includes a virus cleaner, virus scanner and automatic virus removal tool.Features Include:
- Automatically prevents ads from popping up or slowing you down
- Makes optimal security-related decisions with no input from you
- Nothing to manually configure
AVG Review Highlights
AVG Antivirus Software is a great computer antivirus program that helps to detect, prevent and protect users against rootkits, spyware, malware and viruses without slowing down PC performance. Its antivirus engine definitions provide users with ongoing protection against today’s emerging cyber threats.Features Include:
- Detects and stops viruses, threats & malware
- Prevents spying and data theft
- Helps ensure a fast running PC
Malwarebytes Review Highlights
Malwarebytes is a simplified Anti-Malware application that detects malware and removes them, protecting you from new online threats. It is designed to run alongside other antivirus software. It uses advanced protection technologies to proactively catch malware infections that slip past other anti-virus programs.Features Include:
- Detects and blocks malware that’s missed by leading antivirus software
- Quick full-system virus scanner & removal
- Corrects malicious changes to Windows settings
Kaspersky Review Highlights
Kaspersky virus protection software has a strong pack of security features and an impressive user interface that makes it one of the strongest PC antivirus software available.Features Include:
- Virtual keyboard to protect against keyloggers allowing for secure data entry
- Customizable security and malware detection actions
- Intuitive system cleanup and optimization tools
Trend Micro Review Highlights
Trend Micro virus protection is excellent for computer and mobile users, and offers excellent options for software. Their software is a solid choice for users with PCs and smartphones and who have little need for customer or technical support.Features Include:
- The fastest response time to Internet threats in the industry
- System optimization coverage that includes fixes for common PC issues
- Cloud data storage options
Vipre Review Highlights
When it comes to warding off online threats, VIPRE virus protection has much to offer users. This includes real-time scans of your PC that don't inhibit overall performance, in addition to an extremely easy-to-use interface. Accordingly, this virus cleaner is well-suited to users of every skill level.Features Include:
- Scanning available for removable devices, such as USBs
- Capable of uncovering hard-to-remove malware
- File eraser function allows users to remove all instances of a problematic file
Panda Review Highlights
Panda antivirus software is easy to use and provides multiple levels of protection to suit various needs. From the Home edition to the Pro, Global, and Gold editions, Panda offers a range of tools to increase your personal online security.Features Include:
- Virus scanner and removal tools
- Safeguards for documents and other vulnerable files and data
- Online backup to protect files in case your computer is lost or stolen
Our editors review, score and rank products based on these criteria:
Antivirus Software Faqs
Why Everyone Needs Virus Protection & Malware Removal
Computers and the internet are now almost a necessity in every day life. We email and chat with friends and family far away. We watch our favorite shows or how to videos to troubleshoot a problem. A lot of us even bank or shop online.
Whenever you’ve connected to the internet, you are opening up your private information to the world. Once online, computer viruses and malware find ways to infect your computer without your knowledge. Antivirus software provides the best virus protection and will remove any malware found on your computer.
Viruses, Spyware and Adware: What’s the Difference?
Viruses, spyware, and adware are all malware with distinct differences. All of them do damage to legitimate computer users but they fall into different categories depending on the intent of their attack.
Viruses are a bit of malicious code that is secretly included in an application you decide to download. It replicates itself to infect other computers. Eventually, the virus is activated for its purpose: deleting important files, corrupting information, or randomly shutting off your computer.
Spyware is malicious software that gets installed without the user even knowing about it. This is usually the most dangerous form of attack. It invades your internet security to find sensitive information from your computer and sell it for a price on the black market.
Adware, on the other hand, is a unique form of software specifically written to produce popup ads. The popups can start as the user uses a certain application, when they visit a particular website online, or simply as soon as they boot up their computer. The most deceptive form of adware shows a popup telling the user their computer is infected and that they need to install antivirus software.